Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, July 23, 2007

Baby, Let me "Upgrade you"


After buying a new Road bike in the Spring and a Wedding in Vegas in the Summer (Yes, a wedding in Vegas is a pretty penny), it’s time to change all the vital organs on the Fire truck Red Racer X.

Right to the action!

What’s out? 2005 Bontrager Race Lite X Wheels
What’s in? 2007 Mavic CrossMax SLR’s
Why? The Bontragers have been good to me, but it’s time to move on up. I have them Mavic’s on the Felt F1C, and I now know why I need the upgrade.

What’s out? 2005 Avid Juicy’s
What’s in? 2007 Avid Juicy Ultimate’s
Why? It’s simply long overdue. Last year, I bought the Marta SL’s and didn’t like them at all. I think it was because I had the Juicy’s so dialed in.
What does the upgrade do? It gives me the same type of brake system, but a major upgrade. Plus, I’m shaving down some weight.

What’s out? Q-Rings with XTR Cranks
What’s in? Agilis Crankset, with Self Aligning Bottom Bracket.
Why? I have enjoy what the Q-Rings have done for me in the form of faster lap times, less lactic acid build-up, longer time until threshold, and more climbing traction. Now the entire system is by Rotor, the crank arms, the 24-34-44 chainrings, and the bottom bracket that is supposedly self aligning. I can also change the settings on the rings if I’m riding on a flat course or a climb course. I had the 23-33-45 with the Q-Rings last year, so I’m looking forward to the extra teeth.
What do the Q-Rings do? Rotor Q-Rings help to minimize the time spent in the dead spot while pedaling. While oval chainrings have historically been controversial, we believe that allowing a rider to fine tune the chainring position offers opportunities to minimize the dead spot never before realized with conventional chainrings.
What I’m upgrading to? Agilis Crankset with SABB
What does the upgrade do? Ágilis (Latin for lightweight) road crankset is an innovative conventional crankset and bottom bracket technology developed by Rotor that incorporates hollow alloy cranks, an adjustable length semi-integrated axle and self aligning bottom bracket cupset (SABB). Ágilis is the first crankset to be offered with Rotor Q-Rings as original equipment, and were designed to be used with the SABB Cupset.


What’s out? 2005 Fox Rp3 (It came with the Racer-X)
What’s in? 2007 Fox Rp23.
What does the upgrade do? I have no idea! I was happy with the shock that was on their. I do notice that when I’m climbing slowly, I can here it squeaking. I’m going to have it overhauled, and use it in my training months. Since the wife has given the OK, I’m going to get it. I hear all this stuff about the propedal setting. I don’t have to know exactly how it works; I just need to know that it’s an upgrade.

What's out? Trashy WTB saddle that has not lasted 6months. I had the Bontrager Race Lite X saddle that lasted for 2 years, but the one of the rails broke.
What's in? WTB Rocket V SLT Saddle
Why? It's going to go nice with the fire truck red.

What's out? Eggbeaters pedals.
What's in? Shimano's 2007 M970 clipless
Why? I have had too many problems with the eggbeaters just not working for me.


I’ll report back when I have changed all the vital organs and post the before and afters.

Pacer Out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home