Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Sherdian Ride

After last weeks personal taming of Razorback, I really went after some singletrack at Markhum this week. So my new plan of riding more back to back laps just under threshold has seen huge improvements. I don’t feel as good with my position, so I do plan to go to up to Atlanta to see Eddie O’dea to get a professional bike fit after Ms. P and I get married in Vegas. There is another race in Rosewood this weekend and I feel comfortable that I can do some damage in the race. I’m in 3rd overall, and tied for the sprinter’s jersey.

I go to the Sheridian ride on Saturday morning to prime my legs for the race tomorrow. This is one of the fastest group rides in South Florida, if not the fastest. Over 70 riders come out, but only about 40 should be there. It was a crosswind on Hwy 27, and I was way in the back talking to some other riders. When things got going people started dropping off, and I was committed to making it to the lead group. The cross wind is awful and I’m starting to go into the red, but I don’t want to get caught out with all the riders that got drop because noone will want to work at that point. So I make several digs as riders are getting slung shot off the back. I’m way into the red now, and not sure if I’m gonna bridge to the group. Nor do I think I should put out this kind of effort the day before a race. As my HR reach 175 the crosswind is getting the best of me. At the point that my HR reaches 180bpm, I decide to give it up. I drop off and I look back and there is a Mitsubishi Montero coming up with a group of riders, This SUV comes to the ride every Saturday morning and pulls the drop riders back to the main group when there is a crosswind. This is the first time I have ever needed his services. I jump back on and we are going about 31mph, and we get up to another group of about 25 riders. The main group is way up the road. I have already emotionally checked out of any hard efforts because I want to save my legs for the race tomorrow. Once we go over I-75 at 35mph, I look down and I have a front flat. SHIT! I may hit the deck. We have to make a swooping right turn, and I’m able to wave everyone off and ride right into the grass. There was about 8miles to go in the ride. So I walked the bike over to the bus stop, sat down, played with my ipod, fixed the flat. Fortunately, I live about 2 miles away from the flat, so I cruised on in and called it day. Went home, laid upside down to let the legs drain, then took a nap.

Pacer Out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home