Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, August 13, 2007

More Wholefood Products

Got up yesterday morning, did a slow road ride by myself, and kept the heartrate in the 140's. I really want to rest my legs in anticipation of the new parts I'm getting for the Titus next week, so I'm don't want to nail it to the wall today. The weekend of August 25th and 26th, I'm going to do a XC race in NC. I have a family reunion, and I decided to work off some of the Southern food and jumpstart my program at the Race at Reactor XC just outside of Raleigh. It is at Harris County Park. I raced there last year at the State Games, and I really liked the course. I'm saving myself for that, because I want to be emotionally invested in that race. Plus, this will be the first time that my family will ever see me race. OK, back to the Sunday morning ride.

I was able to hook up with the Weston Flyers Ride as I rounded back to the house, which lifted my spirits to ride with a little bit more spirit. They are particular about who they want riding at the front, so I always sit in. They get grumpy if anyone starts drilling it. I could not get my bike to go to the top chain ring, so I was riding above 120rpms for about 10mins which was a great workout. Didn't do too much bouncing, so I cooled down on my way home.


I dropped the bike off at Active Cycles, then stopped by Wholefoods to pick up some small items. I'm well under 180lbs, and I owe it soley to eating exclusively at wholefoods. I might add a little bit of discipline also, but mostly the healthy eating has allowed me to lose way more weight than I expected way before I have started my hard training block to get ready for the season. Here is a some things I get at wholefoods which rounds out my breakfast and lunch for a day.

I always get a large Apple Juice. I mix it with green chorophyll as one of my health drink for the day.

Next, is a 8oz back of wheatgrass(liquid oxygen). It has over 40 benefits to it, and the main ones for a cyclist would be it give you all the amino acids, iron, vit b, and antioxidants you need for the day. And, 2 oz is like eating 3lbs of green veggies, yea!



Pineapple or Watermelon is the first thing that goes into my mouth after my 2oz of wheatgrass. I eat one of those containers at least 5 days week. Nothing better than giving yourself a refreshing bunch of strong water fruit to start the digestion system off in the right direction for the day.

Before lunch I eat something fiber based and that is some organic granola with raisins. I normally use ricemilk, but if I have been a good boy or have a big ride for the day I will treat myself to some Strawberry/Bananas soymilk because it has a higher fat content. If I don't feel like preparing that, I'll just have a mixed berry bar with ricemilk.


I keep my containers topped off with all nuts. Lightly salted and roasted cashews, raw cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, and flaxseeds. I normally make a mix of them all, and pick out what I'm in the mood for the most that day.

I have simple foods to eat between dinner. The main objective of these foods are to curb the appetite before dinner. One of them is yogurt. It's rich in healthy intestinal flora that suppressed the growth of the bad bacteria. I usually keep a supply of different flavors on hand to mix with a bananas.

If not yogurt, I do salsa, organic sour cream, and organic yellow corn chips. Again it curbs the appetite before dinner, and gives me the same healthy bacteria for my colon.

One of the meals that eat that is cooked is the chicken and yellow rice dish from wholefoods. It's a fantastic way to eat a cooked meal that is low in fat, and all the nutrients have not been cooked out of the veggies.

Produce, produce, and more produce. I said before that I have ate 2 salads a day since I totally committed to this program in February. I have become a master at efficiency, and simplicity in executing them.

Spinach is the base of my salads, not lettuce like most of the population. I mix in a some herb veggies that are green, and some mixed baby greens. I add bean sprouts because they are a great source of protein, potassium, and B vitamins. They also make zinc, magnesium and iron more absorbable by the body which is the vitamins and minerals that's in the greens.

I have yellow, red, green, and orange bell peppers. They are all rich in antioxidants that help fuel your immune system. I always have onions in my salads, as it brings out the taste. For a cyclist that means your recovery is faster, you never get sick, you feel better sooner. Almost every one of the best riders I have been around this year has caught a bug this year. They would say I rode hard that day I got sick, or I was too weak to really train hard for 3 days. Not having the antioxidants means it's only gonna keep happening to them, but not me. I have not had a cold in 9 years. This is why.

I have one primary dressing that I use, and it's low fat Gingerly Vinaigrette. I love Ginger and Vinegar, but not olive oil like most people. I always put in a teaspoon of flaxseed oil. I don't really like fish, specially because the ocean has so much mercury. Some of the benefits of the flaxseed oil is Healthy heart, healthy cholesterol levels, energy & endurance, and a great source of fat.

This is usually what I eat every day, and after over 6 months I can say that I have not even gotten close to being bored with it. I had such a great spring season on this program, that I can't see myself not continuing this program.

When the season starts, I may not be the best rider on the line, but I'm sure that I have the best food plan

Pacer Out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home