Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I'm on that Incredible Hulk

For the last 10 day I have been on this new mix that I called the "Incredible Hulk". Since the 6-hrs of Santos I have kind of fallen out of favor with the sports gels. I know that it was the event, the heat, the distance, and the effort, but I have been looking for another alternative so I called up my all knowing truck driver Brother Reggie, as he has been the guinea pig for every modern health food product since the early 90's.

In training I have been consuming water with Organic Maple Syrup in it, and in the race I have done a number of things, but none have seem to work. So I have consulted with the Big Bro to see what he would suggest. I turned him on to drinking liquid chlorophyll. I won't go into the details, but if you want to look up the benefits, type in "Chorophyll + benefits" in google. I have mixed that with my water and maple syrup with some pretty impressive results.

What I have noticed is that I have not felt drained at the end of my mtn bike training sessions. The sweetness has not got to me to the point that would make me want to drink less. The best thing is it has totally killed my after workout craving for bad foods. I also am quick to eat a good meal sooner than before now. Normally, I lose my appetite and kind of force myself to eat something as soon as I get home. Not with this mix, it's all to the good.

For the race this weekend in Gainesville, I'm going to trade out the maple syrup for fresh coconut water mixed with chorophyll. I have been getting fresh, off the tree coconuts from my hook-up, "The Coconut Man" down the street from my place. When you think about how far the water has to go up the tree to the coconut, you know it's the best liquid you can be drinking. It is also the most complete drinks out there. When you combine that with liquid chlorophyll, I think the cells are going to be supercharged, or at least I hope. Drinking liquid chlorophyll sure beats having to crank out the wheat grass juice everyday.

Mix the first 2 and, you come up with what I called the " Incredible Hulk". Gonna trade out the maple syrup in for Coconut Water for this weekend's race.


Yeap! The chlorophyll is just that deep green. Do yourself a favor, don't watch what hits the toilet on your normal bathroom visit, you gonna think you a Alien.

People are just now starting to leave comments on my blog, but most come up an talk to me at the races, or when I'm training on the road or mtn bike. The No. 1 question is, " Why are you giving away all your training secrets. I honestly have no ambitions to be better by not telling someone what I'm doing, so I'm just giving out my experience. I had a coach that taught me to consume everything around me. When he would come into practice, he would ask, "What have you been doing?" I would say, "I have been plotting to steal all the information." Now I'm happy to be giving out all the information. Or at least the information that I have my extensives years as a top level athlete.

Now, on to this weekend's challenge. Team Active Cycles has been in this "Love Affair" in the Team Classification with B&J, my old team. We were ahead of them by 3 points and in 4th place after the first race in Tallahassee. We knew they would be ahead of us after the Team Time Trial in the second race at Razorback, and they only where ahead of us by 2 points after the XC race the next day. Also About Bicycles dropped out of the top 3 because of Ryan's flat tire. In Jacksonville, they only put 1 point on us, so we are behind them by 3 points, and still in 4th place. So we are still deep in this love affair, but I think it's going to change this weekend.

I think we are going to take a nice chuck out of B&J's ass this weekend in Gainesville. The great thing about being a former pro, is the incredible memory I have regarding my competitors and their historic results. I don't think anyone on their team is going to post their normal result this weekend, and I'll explain. From an historic standpoint, I think I have all the riders profiled.

I know you guys read my blog, so let me know if I'm right about this playbook I have put together of your team. Well, actually you actual have 3 teammates and 2 riders that are lending points to your team. Opps! Was that a low blow. Ahh Damn! That slipped out. OK, back to the racial, I mean, rider profiling.

Starting with a good friend of mine:

1. Bob Mc. He is a consistent performer and is always in the mix. What is at his disadvantage is the new "Blood Pack" of youthful riders. Ryan, Martin, and Victor are the front runner as they know each other the best. You can't discount Gary Y., Robert Bounds and Kevin Hoffman, so Bob is gonna have his hands full.
2. Matt H. He has not finished a Gainesville Race in the Fall State Series since 2003, and that was when he was a Sport Rider. He took advantage of Razorback by riding it multiple times in the summer so he stacked the deck for that race. He can't play that card here, plus I honestly don't think the Gainesville course is his kind of trail. And if you ever observed his style of racing, he normally never finishes in the middle of the pack. If he is not in contention to win the race, the normally doesn't finish at all.
3. Adam G. He has never really had a breakout performance at this course. And the fact that Jon Lowe, Steve Bent, Andrew D, Doug L, and Dean Yobbi, my teammate that beat him here last year will be there.
4. Oscar C. He is hard to call as he is on the upside of his riding form surprising everyone at the, "Jacksonville Mudbath", including himself. The only factor helping us is that he and Adam and Matt H. are in the same division so they are taking points from each other. In addition another Active Cycles rider Andres V. will be in the mix and he normally outperforms them all.

5. Joe V. is last but not least. He is the true enigma of the group. He has not finished a race as a Sport Rider at Gainsvilles that I'm aware of, but he is ballin out of control this entire year and is pretty much a shoe-in for the Sport 30-39 Title. He has easily posted Expert races laptimes in all of his 3 races so, so I expect him to do something similiar with only 3 quick laps of racing. My educated guess is that he does not like that course, and that why it is still a grey area to me.

The good thing about knowing your former teammates, is you can call out their playbook. So guys, you have been called out. This call out has been done in a friendly way, so please don't take it personal and call each other on the phone like I'm trying to expose you. We are 2 Broward County Teams that are in 3rd and 4th in the Team Classification, and we train together more often than not, and see each other more often than not. So take it professional, and competitively. I think we are going to be leading after this race, but we are gonna have to battle all the way down to the wire, so let's get used to following each other's results for the sake of FUN, competitive FUN.

If you think I'm wrong about my playbook, holla at your boy on Saturday at the pre-ride.

Pacer Out!

6 Comments:

Blogger jjay said...

great blog Brian.

I linked your blog on mine http://www.dallasbikeworks.com/jjays_blog/

one of these days, I'm going to try and get back down there and race you guys again.

John Sanborn

October 17, 2007 at 11:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog Brian. I've been reading it since Matt H. told me about it. I've been "stealing" some of your training ideas and I'm sheading pounds and getting stronger!!
Thanks dude!!
Keep it up!!

Carlos G.

October 17, 2007 at 11:58 AM

 
Blogger Brian Pace said...

John Sanborn. Now that name is a blast from the past. Back in the day if you heard, "Rider Up" from Sanborn, that meant you just lost a spot, as it was impossible to pass him back at the end of a race.

Good to here from you. I've been reading your blog also. I'll put a link on mine also.

PS Come on back anytime, you know you have to come back and race the boys here in FL to see where you at.

Take Care, Buddy

October 17, 2007 at 3:34 PM

 
Blogger Brian Pace said...

Carlos

Thanks for the compliment. I really have tried to make my blog one that has substance, so I really try to ground it from a "Riders Perspective", to make it easy reading. Because I don't exactly put in 2 paragraphs and call it a day. I really try to take a person into what I'm feeling and thinking. If I can do that, then what my level is does not matter at all. You drawn in.

If I can give my angle on riding,training,nutrition, competing, and it provokes thought, then I think I have done something useful.

Hey, if you reading, I'll keep writing.

See you this weekend.

Brian

October 17, 2007 at 3:38 PM

 
Blogger jjay said...

"impossible to pass back.."

lol! that's exactly what you did that last race Reddick... in the final turns if I remember correct.

good times...

October 17, 2007 at 10:22 PM

 
Blogger Brian Pace said...

Well, I wasn't going to mention that one time that your legs had a brain fart. Plus, if you beat me I would have lost the State Title, so I had to turn myself inside out. Those where the good ole days when we raced 2 laps.

Btw, congrats on your first race win. I think I'm going to switch to a Titus 29er at the end of the season. That seems to be the hot thing right now.

Congrats again

Pacer

October 18, 2007 at 9:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home