Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Doping Done Fair!

How do you get the edge without crossing the line. How do you add more to what you are doing without being self-conscious about whether or not it's illegal. How do you do something without seeing resentment in the faces of the people that can't do it.

At this level in cycling there is really no way to tell if a person is doing it fair or not. But there is a way to tell if the person has paid money to do it fair. I have this theory about spirits and energy. People think that spirits are not physical. Well, I think that is exactly what they are. I think that once you give in to something then it becomes a part of you.

Like, if you believe there is a peer that is doping, then your physical energy has just been defeated my that emotional thought. You have let the universe willpower you into being defeated by that thought. I'm not going to let this universe shove me around based on the thoughts that are in the back of my head that I can't prove. I'm going to bend this universe into what I feel suits me. I'm not going to acknowledge what I can't prove. I choose to go around, over, and through those thoughts by doing it fairly, and legally.

Well, I choose to pay to do it fairly, in the "Sleep High, Train Low", method. So I purchased the "Colorado Altitude Training" Sleep Tent.

From 1988-1991 I lived in Colorado Springs at the Olympic Training Center, which is about 6200ft. I remember struggling aerobically for about 3 weeks to adjust to my normal training effort. Coming back down to Sea Level made me feel like I had a 3rd lung. I could train, run, and cross-train at will without feeling like I had any limit. I never forgot that feeling of euphoria.

Now, fast forward 17 years and I'm bringing that to my bedroom. Pike's Peak is the highest point in Colorado, and that is where I plan to sleep at.

I thought this purchase was derailed when I damaged Wes's bike. I was returning his bike back to him, and it fell off the rack on the Sawgrass Expressway at 70mph. Needless to say, I'm having to replace the frame and wheels. Take a look at the damage.

You can tell here that the bike got ran over by a car before I could get to it.

Seeing the scratches and the bent rear triangle confirmed it for me.

I'm sure the seat got ruined by seeing the bike bouncing down the highway at 70mph and at least 15ft high.

This happened a month ago and I waited until the new frame I ordered for him came in.

I also gave him money for the new Cane Creek wheels.
Wes is one of my closest friends, and he was really cool about it, and never hassled me at all. That is why he is so cool. I told him, "With all those anal-retentive riders that don't even want you to touch there bikes, I would have to fight them muther&%_ers every time I saw them if I did this to their bike.

So I decided not to get the system because my first priority was to get all the replacement parts for Wes's bike. But the frame and wheels was basically what he needed as the rest of the parts were ok. He already had a new saddle, so he didn't want to charge me for for that.

I went to Las Vegas a little bummed out about not being able to buy the CAT unit for my base training period. By the time I got to Vegas, saw all my buddies, played blackjack, ate great every night, and played a bunch of table tennis, I had forgot all about the disappointment.

Mrs. P came out to Vegas on a different flight than me, so I came in before her. Her cousin picked me up and took me home to get my car so I could pick her up when she came in 2 hrs later. I walked into the bedroom, and I saw this.

She had made the purchased anyway, and set it up before she came out to Vegas. She already had the mattress, table, fan, and Lance's sleeping tent in it already.

I don't have any impressions so far as I have not slept in it yet, but I can tell you that the unit is louder than a fridge. Mrs. P said she slept in it 2 nights, and it kinda got hot. So I know that with 2 people and a canine, it's going to be hot. But for now it may be ok to manage as the temperature is cool right now. Plus, kudos to Mrs. P. for actually running with this. How many wifes would agree to sleep in a damn tent every night so there husband can have a kick ass year in a sport that he makes no money in. She's a keeper.

This is the first post that I was apprehensive about writing for a couple of reason. Firstly, was because there was controversy over whether or not it was considered doping. WADA (World Anti-Doping Assoc) did an extensive study and came back that it was not a form of doping, but did not necessarily support the tents. I guess that they prefer everyone to live in the French Alps to get the same effect.

Secondly, I could foresee other riders being judgemental that I have such a device in my house that does give me proven advantages over my sea level racing mates. Then, I remember if I give into that, then I'm letting the universe bend me. So here I am, being just has transparent as I have always been. Mrs. P does not believe in giving out any personal information practically, and she often ask why do I do it. I tell her that I dare someone to be as creative, in putting there money where there mouth is. I don't know one rider that gives a detailed description of who they are as an athlete and person to the degree that I do. From what they eat, how they train, to how they experiment with being better without being influenced by jumping on the bangwagon. I think it's more difficult to cut your own path without trying to follow the popular vote.

Here is pic of me next to my new bedroom for 2008
Even Lance is cool with it.

So the concept is you turn this on by pressing the button on the right, while the button on the left dials in the altitude you want to sleep at.

This tube is inserted into the tent, and it sucks out the oxygen in the air and leaves nitrogen.

The response in the body makes more red blood cells. You can feel a difference in 14 days, but the full effect takes place between 4-6 weeks. If you have more red blood cells, then you have more oxygen. If you have more oxygen, then you ride faster. If you ride faster, WELL, you get the point.

You can use this device to find out what percentage of oxygen is in the air.


And that is pretty much it.

That is what I'm doing now, I'm putting my money where my mouth is (literally) in cutting my own path and not following the popular vote. There are 2 table tennis athletes that are serving their 2 year suspensions because they were doping. If you are going to do it, then you have to do it the best you can. But doing it fairly MUST be implied.

Project 2008?

Don't expect anything out of me in January, as I'm forcing myself to take the time off after 9 intense months of racing. The allure of doing the 6-hrs of Oleta and finishing out the Coconut Cup where I'm probably going to most likely finish 2nd overall is strong, but I'm not going to let it bend me. I'm sure there is a bunch of riders that are going to do it because it's in town, and can't resist racing when they know they should be allowing the body and mind to recovery from this rough season of racing. I'm going to cut that new path I talk about and it's called "Discipline".

What I have learned from training from table tennis is just because you love it, you can learn to not like it if you overdo it. Cycling is alot easier to overdo than table tennis, especially at the Expert level and beyond. I guess I'm saying that you should not go out and ride just because you have the power to. Just because you can, does not mean you should. So taking a break allows the body and the mind a chance to absorb what has transpired in the season. That is where your improvement comes from. If you look at the Pro cyclists, they have a serious off season with a significant time being spent off the bike.

Also, there is a 100% chance that I'm moving back to NC now that I"m finished with my Masters Degree, I'm not sure when. I have worked out the details of my job when I return back to the table tennis company, or at least I think. It does include a place I can workout in the back of the wearhouse that I can ride my trainer during the winter months. So this deal is all but done, again, or at least I think. I loved the trails in NC also, and there are enough races inside the state on the road and singletrack to satisfy my urge to race.

Plus, I might me making a return to table tennis. The Haitian Federation has just ask me to compete for them at the 2008 World Table Tennis Championships in China at the end of February. If you don't know I am married to someone that is Haitian/Cuban, and I'm in the middle of getting a dual citizenship for Haiti because I love going to compete there. If that happens in time, I will play for Haiti at the World Championships. I'm also slated to be there National Coach, which is the reason I have taken the request. So right now I'm back on this table tennis for the time being.

So, I probably won't get in a really good training block that is good enough to go out and measure my improvement against my peers in South Florida. It would be nice to stick around long enough to see if I can not get dropped by some of the local riders on the mtn bike, or to put the hammer down on the road to a point that I could see the improvement.

Well, whatever happens, I'll keep you posted.

Keep it Transparent.

Pacer Out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karlos said...

Wow,I digg your commitment to seeking the extra edge!

Rock on in 08!

Karlos

Aka naked indian

January 1, 2008 at 12:15 PM

 
Blogger Brian Pace said...

Karlos

Thanks for the kind words and support. It's always a grey area when you do something that is really radical. When I get in a decent enough training block, I'll put up a detailed post.

Happy New Year

Pacer

January 2, 2008 at 9:55 AM

 
Blogger RickySilk said...

Watch out! You might find that the body you're spooning is rickysilk sneaking in at night looking to piggyback on your investment.

Party at Pace's altitude tent! BYOC! (Bring Your Own Chorophyl)

January 4, 2008 at 11:09 AM

 
Blogger Brian Pace said...

Rickysilk. Man, you better watch out, I sleep naked playa. lol.

January 5, 2008 at 10:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home