Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Food Plan for Santos

Food Plan for Santos.

When I decided that I was going to do Santos, the first thing that I figured out was what I was going to eat & drink.

If you don't already know, 9.5 water is the bomb. All my table tennis buddies are coming over weekly to take home a couple of gallons for their families. I got T-Wiz (Tim Wisner) on tap for some water and I'm sure others will follow. It only takes one person to co-sign it, then it's on. I say if you are sitting there with yourself in neutral, and waiting for me to do this race to judge the outcome. Then, I say you are sitting in. Come on rider, don't follow my wheel. Pick your own line. I say you are waiting for someone to tell you it's ok. This is not the stone age. You don't have to go to the inside of a cave to try to read the marking that were left behind. You can do you own research.

I got my video camera fixed, and I'm going to do my own test with other water companies. I have about 5 different water bottle companies. After Santos I'll do the test, and you will be surprised for sure. Drinking this water when I workout has not made me faster, it has allowed me to maintain a higher speed for a longer period of time. That is exactly what I need for Santos.

The next thing I figured out was what kind of food I was going to eat. Yeap! You guessed, ALKALIZING FOODS.

I'm staying with the theme of alkalizing, and now that I understand the alkaline/acidic food chart a lot better, I can't bring myself to eat incorrectly. The best aspect that I have learned from this experience is food-combining. I normally always eat rice and chicken when I eat broccoli, but since rice and chicken are both acid forming I'm getting no benefit out of the broccoli. So I have to end of eating it solo. Salads that are rich with green leafy vegetable has been what I normally do for lunch. Sometimes I even have it in the morning.

With regards to nutrient uptake, I have broken my race into 3 sections. It is carbs, fats, and drink. There are subdivisions of food intake, but these are the main 3.

My source of carbs. In previous races like this I have seen everything from honey buns, peanut butter and jelly, and all kinds of sandwiches, to just power bars, gels and bananas. I'm going to make a decision to put 80% alkalizing/20% acid food in my body during this race. My plan is to chose food that is easily digested, and will have nothing but a energizing affect on the body. I'm going with broccoli, red, green & orange pepper for my alkalizing carbs. I plan to cook them down at just under 160 degrees, which does not destroy the nutrients but does kill any bacteria that my be present. They will go in a 8 oz cup and put them in the back of my jersey, and it will look like this.

So when I need to eat, I can just dump it down, no wrapping, no having to opening anything. That way eating on the bike will be easy and efficient. These foods are alkalizing, full of nutrients and have a tremendous amount of fiber. I think that that eating simple carbs is just not ideal for this type of event. Eating a power gel, or taking in a red bull is like throwing gasoline on the fire. The type of food that I'm going to eat is like throwing a huge log on the fire that the body gets more uses out of during the event.

For my 20% acidic foods (cheating food, basically) I plan to make a ham & cheese crossaint with parano cheese. I also plan to do vanilla power gels, and maybe some shot blocks.

My source of fat. Now this one is really not radical once you read the research, and I know it's going be a huge factor. My primary source of fat will be coconut oil in all my water bottles.

Let me explain what coconut oil is, and what it does. Coconut Oil is called a "low fat" fat, and it is one of the most stable "Fats" you can eat. It actually acts like a carbohydrate in that it just passes right through the liver and is used as quick energy. Because the liver does not have to break it down, it won't affect me while I'm riding on the bike.

The body does not store it like other fats. It supports thyroid function and increases your metabolism, and that is perfect for something like a long distance Endurance Race. Here are the supplemental facts.


The plan is to put 1 tablespoon (125 calories of fat) in each of my water bottles. I plan to drink 2 water bottles per lap, so 250 calories of good fat per laps that turns into instant energy is as good as as I can get. Wait, I have more info on this oil.

Coconut Oil also improves digestion and absorption of fat soluble vitamins, minerals (especially calcium and magnesium) and amino acids which are needed when racing. It is a natural antioxidant, and it protects the body from free radicals damage, which means it's neutralizing free radicals that are forming during the race. And because it's a "Medium chain fatty acid", it has very unique qualities. It does not required your body to shut down to send blood to your liver to break it down. It passes right through and is quickly used. Taking in most fats usually has a person feeling out of sync while digestion is taking place. Well, not with coconut oil.

My source of fat. That would be the avocado.

Now, this is just outright radical in every since of the word, but read a fella out before you think I have gone off the deep end. I'm simply looking at what is the best food based on digestion, not what is IDEAL from an historical standpoint. They are rich in vitamin A, B-complex, C, E, H, K and folic acid. They also contain the buffering minerals to get lactic acid out of the blood and muscles, which I'll need while I'm in the race. They also provide all the essential amino acids which is 18 in all. Plus they have 7 fatty acids, including omega 3 and 6. They also contain more protein than cow's milk. The water content of avocados range from 70-80%, and that makes them a hydrating and energizing fuel and leaves no metabolic waste behind.

What is also great is it is one of the most easily digested sources of fat and protein in a whole food. Approximately 63% of the fat contained in the avocado is monosaturated and only 17% is saturated. Both serve as good sources of fuel rather than glucose or protein. I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

My source of liquids. Of course every water bottle will be full of 9.5 water.

I can't say enough about how drinking structured ionized water has improved my performance on the bike with regards to hydration. I'm actually looking for hours 6-12, because that is when you find out what you are made of, and it the time I hope I get a return on this investment.

For my Endurance drink I have decided to go with a company, but I can't make it public. So to see what I'm putting in my water, you'll have to find my tent. But I'm covered for 12 hrs.

My main electrolyte source will come from this.

This is a product called phlavor. It is Liquid Salt. Most people don't know the pathway to using magnesium, potassium and calcium begins with salt. So you can eat all the foods that are rich in those minerals and without salt the body can't use them to help the muscles contract while on the bike. If you don't have salt, those minerals are stuck in a holding pattern and can't be used. And this isn't the salt that you buy at your local store. It is unprocessed and whole. The salt is harvested and blended with water of a ph of 9.5, and you have something called Sole. I know riders that take electrolyte pills, or the electrolyte tablets that have powder in them. Your body does have to break it down, and who knows how long that will take. Well, my mixture will go into all my water bottles along with the Endurance Mix and coconut oil. Since they all are easily digested I don't forsee them getting in each other's way in the form of giving me an upset stomach. Plus, they all have different functions.

Last year when I did the 6-hrs of Santos, and I had an upset stomach after about 4hrs. It's because I was putting all this acidic food in my stomach and it was not able to digest due to the high intensity effort I had on the bike. The body has a decision to use the blood to carry oxygen to the working muscles, or to use it to digest food. So if I'm putting everything in my body that requires little to no digestion, I can keep my speed up on the bike and that is going to factor in for me later in the race.

With all the people reading, I know there are doubters. Please try to prove me wrong. I hope that you are a skeptic, because then you'll do your research and see that Pacer is sitting in the Penthouse, and the doubters are in the lobby with regards to details to nutrition.

The only thing I can't control is the outcome of the race. But what I have done is taken all the steps to prepare. I have lined up all my ducks, and I have one bullet. When I played table tennis I just simply took myself through the steps to prepare, and all the energy went into the details. To make sure the nothing was over-looked once the big event came. All activities had to be closed, all anxieties had to be put to rest and that was done with preparation. Imagine going to hit a heavy bag with one of your fingers out. You are bound to dislocate that finger. I have all my fingers closed and I'm ready to kick Santos in the ass. No offense to any of my competitors, I'm honestly not interested in kicking any of your asses at all. If they get in the way, well, I'm sorry.

I'm just simply applying that same program to another sport. I have successful created a protocol that I believed in based on the knowledge and experience I have. I followed that protocol without having to modify it. Now, it's time to see exactly what kind of return I will get in this investment in effort.

I know you have hear the phrase, "The devil is in the details". Not me. The devil to me is the actual race. The putting together the program and following it has been the most rewarding experience. I do understand what kind of feat I'm attempting in just doing this race. Don't think I haven't thought about how many people actually finish this race, or don't have the performance that they have trained really hard for. That is why the details were so planned out, and executed to perfection.

But, I will be honest in saying whether or not I do well, the race will honestly be anticlimatic for me. I think I have just enjoyed the "Process" of being 100% committed to the program, and that out-trumps the event. I'm not actually sure exactly what I will do after this.

Either way, you'll get a blow by blow of the event from the moment I hit the road, to the moment I get back in the house. I plan to have some video shot also, and I'll put together something for you also.

Pacer Out!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dean said...

I predict you'll be pitting at the Port-o-Pottie if you eat that during the race.

February 14, 2008 at 12:33 PM

 
Blogger Brian Pace said...

Finally, a person with a different opinion that is willing to write it down, GREAT!

I know this is just as radical as Thelma and Louise driving off that cliff, but I'm going with it.

Let's talk after the race.

Thanks for your opinion though, I appreciate it.

Pacer

February 14, 2008 at 12:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck at Santos Pacer!! I and many others will be rootin' for ya!!

I was going to show my wife your blog but then you had to go buy your's a car. You just had to do that now didn't ya?? ;)

Carlos G.........

February 14, 2008 at 1:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home